HACKETTSTOWN, NJ (February 24, 2009) - The National Kitchen & Bath Association today announced the ten winners of the 2008/2009 NKBA Student Design Competition, which offers $10,000 in scholarships. The winners will be awarded at the NKBA Design Competition Awards Luncheon on Friday, May 1, 2009 at the Kitchen/Bath Industry Show (K/BIS) held at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta. This prominent industry event will also recognize the professional designers who created the best kitchens and baths of the past year. The luncheon is an exclusive event available only to the press, top designers, and select industry insiders.
Sponsored by American Woodmark Corporation and Sub-Zero/Wolf, the 2008/2009 NKBA Student Design Competition finds the rising stars of the kitchen and bath industry by challenging young designers to create a safe, functional, adaptable space for active senior citizens in their home on the shores of North Carolina. The students’ work had to meet the specific needs of the homeowners, which include the use of natural and durable materials, as well as a baking center. The students’ creations offer insight into upcoming design trends. The following ten winners’ designs were chosen from among the hundreds of entries the NKBA received.
- 1st Place: Sanchali Srivastava, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
- 2nd Place: Gladys Y. Chen, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
- 3rd Place: Alissa Mortensen, Brigham Young University – Idaho, Rexburg ID
- Honorable Mention: Cecilia Yang, Mt. San Antonio College, Walnut, CA
- Honorable Mention: Dawnelle Sarlo, Brigham Young University, Rexburg, ID
- 1st Place: Gladys Y. Chen, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
- 2nd Place: Michelle Hamilton, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, IL
- 3rd Place: Paula Ricca, Arapahoe Community College, Littleton, CO
- Honorable Mention: Megan Klement, Alexandria Technical College, Alexandria, MN
- Honorable Mention: Caitlin Stewart, Brigham Young University – Idaho, Rexburg, ID
Members of the press interested in receiving complimentary registration to the Design Competition Awards Luncheon at K/BIS should contact NKBA Editorial Services Coordinator Annette Gray at 908-813-3773 or at .
The NKBA is now accepting entries for the 2009/2010 NKBA Student Design Competition, which will challenge students at NKBA-accredited colleges to use their knowledge and skills of kitchen and bath design to remodel a 1910 Arts & Crafts “Shingle House.” Once again sponsored by both American Woodmark and Sub-Zero/Wolf, the competition requires students to maintain the historic ambiance of the home, while adding modern conveniences.
The winning entries in both the kitchen and bath portions of the competition will be recognized during K/BIS 2010 in Chicago. The winning designs will be awarded the following prizes:
|First Place Kitchen:||$2,500 Scholarship||First Place Bath:||$2,500 Scholarship|
|Second Place Kitchen:||$1,500 Scholarship||Second Place Bath:||$1,500 Scholarship|
|Third Place Kitchen:||$1,000 Scholarship||Third Place Bath:||$1,000 Scholarship|
Students may enter the kitchen, bath, or both portions of the competition. Entries must be postmarked by November 30, 2009.