Rules and Helpful Tips
Submitting an effective entry binder is critical to winning an RD&B Excellence Award. Following are suggestions to help ensure your entry meets competition requirements and improve your chances of winning:
- All previous RD&B Excellence Awards winners (including Leading Design/Build Firm winners) are eligible.
- Entrants must perform at least some jobs that are 100% new residential construction.
- Firms whose revenue is generated 100% by remodeling work are not eligible.
- Interior design firms are not eligible.
- Entrants must submit printed, high-resolution, professional photography of two or three completed projects, a company staff group photo and company logo.
- Entrants must submit electronic versions of all material on disc including application, binder pages, and supporting material such as photographs, marketing material, drawings, etc.
- Company name must be written on the disc that contains digital copies of entry material.
- By submitting an application and entry binder the entrant acknowledges that wording from an application or binder might be used as submitted or in edited version as determined by RD&B staff.
- Provide complete information. Complete all sections, provide photos and make sure you, any co-entrant and the photographer have dated and signed all release forms. DO NOT put your name or company name on photos, plans, or project or business practice descriptions. This ensures the judges remain impartial when judging entries.
- Think like a judge. RD&B Excellence Awards judges review many entries in a short period of time, so make it easy for them by keeping descriptions brief and to the point. Focus on the best aspects of your project or business practice. Type or clearly print all information.
- Submit professional-quality photos. Professional-quality photos improve an entry's chances of winning. Before hiring a professional photographer make sure he/she understands the photos will be used in a professional competition and that a signed photographer release is mandatory for all entries. If you took the photos yourself, you must also sign a photographer release.
- Submit color prints no smaller than 8x10 (no photocopies or printouts). You must submit a disc with high-resolution electronic versions of photos in JPEG or TIF format. Photos considered for the magazine cover must be at least 300 dpi at 8x10. Photos considered for the magazine cover should be vertically oriented and framed to accommodate the magazine logo at the top of the photo.
- Have your entry proofread. Before mailing your entry, make sure appropriate forms are complete, information is correct and all required releases are signed and dated. Have someone critically proofread your entry, like a judge would. Remember, don't be wordy - get to the point.
- Include all materials. Before mailing your entry, make sure all required documents are included in the back pocket of your binder, or slip the pages into the plastic sleeves.
- Make copies for yourself. Make a copy of all materials submitted for your records.
Competition and Entry Information
Competition and Entry Information The Residential Design + Build 2011 Business Excellence Awards competition recognizes architects, designers and custom builders for excellence in business management.
1. Community involvement
Projects, programs, events or other efforts with the goal of benefiting the local community.
Marketing plans, events or other efforts related to either an entire company or a specific project.
3. Business administration
Effective, innovative and/or creative business management practices or programs.
4. Personnel management
Effective, innovative, creative and/or motivational personnel management practices or programs.
Programs, policies, events or other efforts with the goal of improving the knowledge and/or quality of life for company employees and/or their family members.