When consumers thought about getting appliances for a kitchen 10 years ago, they simply thought of a refrigerator and a range, plus a dishwasher, if they were lucky.
Well, that basic combination has completely changed and expanded, especially in the last few years. Appliances now include everything from drawer dishwashers and refrigerator and freezer drawers to convection microwave ovens – not to mention a whole host of other specialty appliances that run the gamut from the smallest countertop dishwasher and most compact induction cooktop, to a huge walk-in wine vault complete with its own inventory tracking system.
Indeed, there now are warming drawers that keep dishes and meals hot, icemakers that cool things down and wine coolers that keep varied vintages at just the right temperature. Then, of course, there’s the latest specialty appliance specifically geared for the Starbucks generation: the built-in coffee maker, a must-have among coffee connoisseurs.
Beyond appliances that add that special gourmet touch, there are also a few items that are specially geared to help consumers monitor the security of their homes and keep them connected to the Web. There are even those appliances that bring normally outsourced conveniences, such as dry-cleaning, in house.
Here and on the next two pages, Kitchen & Bath Design News showcases a sampling of the most innovative specialty appliances on the market today.
1. Perlick Corp.’s wine cabinets feature a variable-speed compressor, as well as multi-zone refrigeration that’s accomplished through the company’s patent-pending convection cooling technology.
2. Miele’s built-in coffee system brews coffee, cappuccino, espresso and latte. It can be specified atop or near other appliances in the kitchen, as it does not have any special plumbing or electrical requirements, notes the company.
3. The latest wine cellar from Haier America, the Dual Zone Distinction Series Wine Cellar (model #HVCD24BBH), has dual electronic temperature control with humidity settings that allow the temperature in each zone to be set between 39°F and 65°F.
4. The compact dishwasher from Equator Advanced Appliances fits in an 18”-high space on the counter, and washes up to four place settings. It has three wash programs: normal, fast and rinse.
5. Brew Express from Lance-Larkin is a fully plumbed and self-filling coffee maker that mounts into the wall. It currently comes in 12-cup model, with a four-cup model on the way. It’s programmable, and has an adjustable cup selector (single cup, half pot or full pot). Hot water from the unit can also be used to make hot cocoa, tea and oatmeal.
6. De’Longhi/EuroChef offers 12" electric cooktops and 12" and 24" gas cooktops. The electric models have two heating zones on a ceramic cooktop, and the gas versions two and four (respectively) electronic-ignition stainless steel burners.
7. The Benvenuto Gourmet Coffee Machine from Bosch features the company’s AROMASWIRL System, a stainless steel brewing chamber and a built-in water filter. It’s available in two models: B20 and B30.
8. As part of the ICON Designer Series of appliances, The Electrolux Group/Electrolux Home Products, NA offers the E30WD75ESS Smooth-Glide Full-Extension Warmer Drawer. Features include stainless steel interior design, humidity control, flexible temperature control and half-width rack.
9. The Ice’NEasy by Danby Products Ltd./Danby Products Inc. is a portable icemaker designed to produce 33 lbs. of ice every 24 hours, the company notes.
10. fci Home Appliances offers an integrated, automatic coffee machine with push buttons, two heat exchangers, a programmable display and multiple coffee-brewing modes.
11. The Westinghouse-branded iCEBOX from Icebox, LLC/Salton, Inc.’s Beyond Home Initiative is a Web-enabled kitchen entertainment center available in undercabinet-mount and countertop versions.
12. MATRIX by Faber/Iamco, Inc. is a wall-mount, stainless steel ventilation panel with a halogen light bar. It’s operated either by a remote control with four speeds and a power boost or by controls built into the ventilation panel, the company notes.
13. Ariston’s refrigerated drawers feature an ergonomic design with a sliding, fully removable basket drawer built under the countertop.
14. Part of Vintage’s indoor appliances line, this radiant warming oven combines convection with heat, according to the company.
15. Sanyo Fisher Co.’s microwave line includes four additional models: EM-S5595S, EM-S2585W/B/V, EM-G5595S and EM-G2585W. The latter two have a 1,000W quartz grill.
16. Scotsman’s ice machine, wine storage unit and companion refrigerator can be used together in a kitchen, wet bar or beverage center setting.
17. The Horizon Lite-Touch 2 ceramic electric cooktop from Kenyon Custom/Kenyon International, Inc. features infrared ‘lite-touch’ control and two burners.
18. Wolf offers a 15" induction cooktop that uses the transfer of magnetic energy to generate heat.
19. The Video Door Answering System from NuTone comes in two models. The drop-down system features a 17" monitor and supports two recessed or surface-mount cameras. The built-in system has a 4" color monitor for hands-free door communication and one recessed or surface-mount camera.
20. KitchenAid’s Architect Series Double Drawer refrigerator features the Dual Evaporator System that allows for independent temperature settings for each drawer or for only one drawer to be in use. Circle No. 270 on Product Card
21. DACOR’s built-in coffee system makes coffee, espresso or cappuccino, plus dispenses hot water for tea or hot chocolate.
22. The DryAire drying cabinet from Whirlpool Corp. is designed to circulate temperature-controlled warm air inside to dry clothes.
23. Viking offers a convection microwave oven as part of its Professional and Designer Series.
24. The TV refrigerator from LG Electronics includes a cable-ready, 13.1" screen, FM radio, two speakers and a TV tuner.
25. The 30"-wide, electric, free-standing or slide-in Insight Range by Sharp Electronics Corp. combines a smooth glass cooktop, glass touch-screen controls and a choice of either a conventional or convection oven to accompany the microwave drawer.
26. The Honeycomb cooktop collection from Küppersbusch USA features hexagonal cooking elements, as well as sensor touch controls.
27. EarthStone Wood-Fire Ovens offers wood-fire ovens that can be speced for an indoor or outdoor kitchen setting. Model 60 (shown) and model 90 can be styled to fit various décors, notes the firm.
28. Mobile islands and work stations from Cook-N-Dine feature the company’s cooking units that are built right into each model.
29. Sub-Zero’s 700BC is a 27"-wide refrigerator/freezer drawer combination unit. The firm’s 700BCI is also a combo unit that also offers an automatic ice maker, the company notes.
30. The GE Monogram Walk-In Wine Vault is designed to specifically to manage and store fine wine in a secured environment. It features an inventory tracking system that employs a touch-screen monitor and tag printer.
31. Featuring an ergonomic design, Fisher & Paykel’s DishDrawer consists of two completely independent dishwashers, the company notes.
32. The Chateau Collection 6SMOD by Marvel Industries stands 68" tall and can be placed in three configurations of upper and lower compartments.