& Restoration, Inc.
Project Name: Barns at
Location: Fredericksburg, Texas
Size: 1,535 sq. ft.
Photos: Laughlin Homes
Project scope and challenges included the following:
• Exceptional use of light, shadow and form.
• Pre-finished siding that should offer years of maintenance-free cladding.
• Simple interior finishes of construction-grade woods complement the vernacular form.
• The native landscape will allow the buildings to blend into the surroundings over time allowing the owners to enjoy the native wildlife on the rural setting.
• Rainwater is collected from the standing-seam metal roofs, providing adequate irrigation for the drought-resistant vegetation.
• The concrete foundation was hand-waxed for a beautiful natural finish that also complemented the budget.
• A unique combination of Lexan and galvanized panels was assembled on the “Tractor Barn” and “Hay Loft” outbuildings highlighting historic shapes.
Working with an out-of-town owner, concepts were produced in-house via 3-D CAD. The project took on the feel of a sculpture as the builder and owners had weekly site meetings to select and verify material choices and installation techniques. Although unconventional in process, the results have exceeded the family’s needs and expectations.
“Excellent use of materials and very creative. Lots of detail for a small project site.”
“Creative design which achieved client needs and budget. Well done!”
Roofing: Galvalume - Metal Roof
Siding: Hardi Board
Windows: Jeldwen Clad Casement
Doors: Custom Spanish Cedar Doors
Locksets and hardware: Emtek
Flooring: Stained Concrete
Countertops: Concrete Countertops
Sinks: American Standard
Countertops: Wood Countertops
Lighting: Barn Light Company