DES PLAINES, ILL. — Most remodeling firms are individually owned, and 91 percent have business structures that shield them from liability, according to a survey of members of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry.
Invitations to participate in an Internet study sent to NARI contractor members; the study ran from August 26 until September 11, 2011. The survey was conducted by the marketing consulting firm Consumer Specialists.
Other findings include:
- 85 percent of companies are owned by the original owner
- 92 percent have a single location
- 79 percent operate as the general contractor on jobs
- 33 percent of remodelers do all design work in-house, while 56 percent do some design work in-house and outsource some
- 43 percent have dedicated sales people, while 36 percent of the firms have individuals who work on the projects as well as sell