The use of this document is intended to provide a safe and functional solar energy system with minimum regulations. An American National Standard IAPMO/ANSI USEC 1-2012
Significant changes to the USEC include:
• New attic installation provisions that address the length of passageway, width of passageway, work platform, lighting and convenience outlet.
• New safety device provisions for components subjected to high pressures, and vacuum conditions.
• New freeze protection provisions.
• Revised heat exchanger requirements.
• New piping provisions that address piping materials and the identification of piping.
• New provisions for valves.
• Revised and updated joint and connection requirements.
• New requirements for storage tanks that address provisions for relief valves, temperatures, and piping.
• New provisions for expansion tanks.
• New provisions for solar collectors.
• New Chapter 9 that addresses solar thermal systems provisions for swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs.
• New electrical provisions for the installation of solar photovoltaic energy systems based on NFPA 70.
• New Chapter 11 that addresses provisions for pumps used in solar thermal systems.
• New appendix for installation guidelines in regards to solar photovoltaic systems.